Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My Mundane Life [Picture a Day, 7/2-7/7]

Doing picture a day has made me realize that my life is, like, really boring. Sorry I have nothing more exciting to offer. But you know, I'm ok with boring. Boring is easy. I like easy.



July 2 - Books Make Me Happy

Before I left work in June I ordered a bunch of books. The Women's Center has a library where students can check out books, and while there are some good books, they are mostly all donated. This means there's big gaps in our subject areas. I think reading is important, and I think it's important to see oneself represented in books. So I had a fun time picking out books I want to read and ordering them for the Center. When I got back in July, I had a stack of books waiting for me. Aren't they beautiful?





July 3 - I Value Food

I read an blog post, when I was thinking of doing this, that said taking a picture a day makes you realize what is important to you. What I'm beginning to realize is that I value food. And it's true. I value baking my own bread. I value eating local and organic. And I value things tasting good.

I have made a lot of pizzas. I have made a lot of pizza doughs. It never turns out the way I want it to. Pizza dough is a finicky lady. She is too soft, too fragile, and breaks too easily. My pizza crust always ends up looking all buck-toothed and snarled. It tastes good, but it ain't pretty.

But suddenly, something happened. Something clicked. It started to make sense. And look! My pizza is round! I realize pictures of pizza are not attractive. But look! It's round!





July 4 - Dogopoly

Remember how I said I have a boring life? Check it. It was the 4th of July, a time when people across the country are blowing shit up and getting hammered. And what was I doing? At home, playing Dogopoly with the misses.





July 5 - Dog in Dirt

Our yard is totally white trash. We have a big pepper tree above our yard so nothing grows. No grass. Only dirt. Lola likes to go lay outside in the sun in the dirt, and then all the sticky pepper seeds mixes with the dirt and leaves and gets tangled in her tail. Which then ends up all over our bed, and couch, and floor. So I put a blanket outside for her, so when she wants to lay in the sun she doesn't get all dirty. But what does she do?






July 6 - My Office

I didn't know what to take a picture of yesterday, so I took a picture of my office. It was hard. There was no place to stand and get the full view of the room. So this is a picture of one side of my office. I know, not very interesting. Maybe some day you'll get to see the other side of the room. Now wouldn't that be a treat!



That bookshelf you can kind of see on the right isn't secured to the wall in any way, and it's very tall and narrow and I sort of expect it to fall over at any minute. Today there was an earthquake and I looked over and the bookcase was swaying. So I ran out of the room. It didn't fall over, though. Score!



July 7 - Collection Letters

We are totally broke right now. Like, "can we buy more milk today" kind of broke. Things just keep compounding. We went on vacation, which we never do, and spent much more than we should have. Regardless of the fact that one of the reasons we decided to go home for vacation is because we thought it would be real cheap. Not even.

And then we're moving at the end of the month. So we have first month's rent and deposit and holding fees. We have boxes to buy and movers to pay.

But also, Beth doesn't get paid for summer school classes until the end of the summer. Which means it's just my income for a couple months, and let me tell you, that sure isn't cutting it.

So today the car starts acting up. I start it. It dies. I start it again. It dies again. Good lord, car repair is not in our budget right now.  And then I get home to find two lovely letters waiting for me.

One is from our landlord telling us we owe them $60 because they found coffee grounds in the garbage disposal when they came to fix it. What? Aren't coffee grounds something the disposal is supposed to be able to handle?

The other is a letter from Wakeeney, Kansas saying I owe them $175 for a speeding ticket. Yea, remember that vacaction that was supposed to be so cheap? It just keeps adding up.




Well, that's kind of a depressing note to end on. So instead I will leave you with these words of wisdom:

"Money can't buy everything.
Money can't make you a king.
Money cannot buy success.
Money can't buy happiness.
But there's one thing I am sure,
money will not make you poor.
Money will not make you sad.
Money can't be all that bad!"

Amy played that song in a piano recital once, which is why I know it in the first place. But I have oft' sung it when times got hard, and lightened my mood. Oh yessir, it surely did. (Imagine saying that with a hillbilly accent).

6 comments:

Beth said...

Pizza is good. Dogs are funny. You kicked my ass at Dogopoly. I did not even notice the earthquake yesterday. I was on a walk with the dogs and some guy in his front yard said, "Hey, did you feel that earthquake?" And I was like, "No." Money is stupid. Sorry I get paid very little and not very often. Rolling in soon...

Beth said...

Oh, and one day I will have a realy job. Seriously. Real job.

And books are good. I hope Amy will sing that song for us next time we see her.

I wish I had more coffee...you never go to my website.

Amy said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This post has totally made my day 100% better. As in, I didn't think it was going to be possible for me to smile or break out of my pre-panic hidey hole in my mind. The kind where I just have to keep telling myself that it's going to be okay and that if I freak out about it it's just going to compound my problems.

Because my week has been filled with me trying not to freak out at Erskine's not having a job and the fact that we've now moved through our savings and have to put a few groceries on credit card and the icing on MY day was HIS car breaking down today as he was out job hunting.

And then? And then... this! How do you remember the lyrics to that song? Too funny. And so appropriate. And it just made my day. I love you!

Amy said...

Wow. When I read my post, I don't sound okay. Haha.

mauram said...

I guess sisters really are connected by Karma. I actually had to borrow money from Discover Card today so that our water bill check wouldn't bounce. And last week our fancy certified pre-owned subaru cost us another $300 in repairs - thank you Bank of America. It must be a product of our upbringing because I also think of a song when times are tough - "And even though we aint got money Im so in love with ya honey; everything bring a chain of lo-o-o-o-ve. And in the mornin when I rise bring a tear of joy to my eyes and tell me everythings gonna be all right..."

Thankfully, though, your office is so fancy and I'm very impressed. Is that your name I see on the door? And what is that book MAMA, Phd? All those books look very interesting.

That picture of Lola is really funny, I love it. She looks very ashamed though. We also have white-trash back yard, but mostly because of our neighbors (we live in a duplex, which is debatably white trash in itself), but our neighbor has like five (not exaggerating) lawn mowers and a broken down car. At least now he doesn't park the broken down car ON the yard. His teenage daughters park their cars halfway on the yard though. At least you get a pepper tree out of the deal.

mauram said...

Oh, and by the way if you think your life is boring you could check out my pictures this week and you will probably feel much better.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.