Sunday, August 15, 2010

Desire

On my way to work today I listened to a radio documentary called "the design of desire". One of the three segments was about the branding that makes us like the stuff we do. The reporter interviewed marketers who spend their days creating entire cultures around brands and identify people who fit in to the "culture". The broadcast explained, "It's not just about cute clothes. It's about being part of a group, your tribe, the people who care about the things that you care about, who think about the things you think about."

Interesting, right? To explain ones "tribe" in terms of merchandise. How sick. How indicative of the emptiness we feel inside ourselves that we must make ourselves real by spending.

Right?

Well....yea, ok....but, as I listened to the story I started thinking of dozens of brands that speak to me that way. Why, in fact, I spend hours "window shopping" online at the same places, even if I don't have money to buy anything. Am I a hollow shell of a person? Could be. But oh, there are just those things that I know will fill that hole inside me.

So I thought I would share the things that are, apparently, a part of my tribe. Maybe this post is just an excuse for me to look at my favorite things...

and...I don't know how to follow that up except for - here are some of my favorite things!

I really like A.J. Morgan sunglasses.  I like the sort of retro style. Plus, they're really cheap. What does that say about me? Stylish but sensible? I like that.





My dream car is a mini cooper. I like that they are customizable. I want one just like this -red with black stripes. They're kind of funky but also practical. They are fancy but not "luxury". Plus they're British. I really, really like the Brits.




I have an uncontrollable desire to own everything from my favorite clothing store, Mudcloth. I got my wedding dress from Mudcloth after searching for months. It was perfect. And every time I go to the website my heart skips a little beat and I think, "oh, come to mama you sweet little minx."





If I had lots of money and could buy expensive clothes, I think I would only shop at Anthropologie.  I drool looking at the clothes, and then gasp looking at the price tags. Sometimes I get lucky and find Anthropologie at Buffalo Exchange, but other than that I just have to sit with my unfulfilled desire. I love you, dear. Some day you will be mine.







Blowfish shoes never do me wrong. I love the funky styles and that there are so many non-leather options. I'm not normally a "shoe girl". Beth might disagree, and I suppose looking in my closet you might, too. But I actually buy really practical, simple shoes that I keep forever. Like, one of my favorite pair of work shoes I got when I was 16 years old. That's 15 years ago, friends! I love Blowfish because the shoes are trendy but simple enough that the style will last longer than one season.


Like these shoes. Me wants.
Another thing that I look forward to buying when I suddenly reach the income bracket that allows me to buy fancy cookware (a girl can dream) is Le Crueset products. I don't have any. They are so expensive. But I look at all the pots, pans, and other cast iron cookery with stars in my eyes. Some products are really just the same whether it's designer brand or generic. Frozen peas, for example. Others really are worth the extra money. Like zipper sandwich bags. And cooking utensils. One day I'll have a kitchen with an island in the middle and a grill on the stove. It will have a dishwasher, granite counter tops, and a double-oven. And it will be stocked with Le Crueset. Yes it will.




Shopping at Etsy makes my heart flitter-flutter. Not only have I found some of my most treasured items on Etsy (like my wedding ring), it makes me feel good to buy from independent artists and crafts-people. Not to mention that I do kind of love having something that isn't mass produced, which means that I get to feel very, very special. Here are some of my favorite sellers on Etsy. (p.s. - what are yours? The draw-back to Etsy is that sometimes you have to browse through a lot of crap. I'd love to hear about what others have found!)


Nancy Farmer art. I found her because she does these great Medusa paintings.


Idea2Lifestyle makes these dresses that are so beautiful and look so comfy I want to wear one everyday. I've always loved the style of dance clothing, and these dresses make me think of something a modern dancer would wear. Maybe they just make me want to dance. Surprisingly, even though I look at their shop all the time, I've never bought anything. Maybe my beautiful wife will see to it that I get one of these pretty dresses for my birthday.



  


Beth and I got our wedding rings from Artisanlook. They make such beautiful, unique jewelry. I love it.




I am kind of obsessed with KittyEmpire. She makes these amazing vinyl bags (yay - no leather!). I want them all. The one bag I got from her has a hole in it. I think that means I need another one, right? I deserve it.


But should I get this one...


or this one...

or this one...

It's too hard to decide!




The Buddha teaches us that desire is at the root of suffering. How can I argue with that? Wanting all these things I can't have doesn't make me happy. In fact, the more I want and don't get, the bigger the hole feels that I think these things should fill. And I know that no matter how much I have, there will always be more I desire. Oh damn tricky mind. I can't help it. I still want.

3 comments:

Beth said...

You are very funny, sweetheart. One day we will live like the lower middle class to which we aspire and you can have a fancy red tea kettle and a Mini. Promise.

Amy said...

Great post! This is something I struggle with a lot, too.

I think there's a way that you can find me on etsy and look at my favorites, but I'm not sure how to do it. Do you know? I'm shinyredstar on etsy.

Amy said...

Oh, and for the record... they aren't all my favorites, really. Some are just marked as such so I could remember to go back and look at their shops later.

You know what else I love? Browsing people's favorites on flickr. I have lots of pretty things favorited on flickr. Yum.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.